Condo Insurance

For condominiums in California, Oregon, and Washington state

Whether you’re purchasing a condominium or shopping for a better rate to replace your current policy, there are several important considerations to keep in mind when it comes to properly insuring your property.

Refer to Your Association Rules and Master Policy

Condo ownership differs from home ownership in several ways. Homeowners need one policy to be insured for the structure on the land, while condo owners essentially pay for two types of insurance policies. The master policy is for the whole building, which is paid for collectively by the owners through dues. Additionally, owners are typically responsible for covering the individual unit and personal belongings. Each association is different in what is covered by the master policy, so it’s imperative to be familiar with your association’s bylaws and insurance coverages.

There are a couple of key considerations to make before determining your personal condo coverage amount. First and foremost, you’ll need to refer to your homeowner association rules and master insurance policy to find out what is already covered. You want to make sure you’re not under-insured or duplicating coverages. Secondly, know how much the master policy’s deductible is. You’ll want to be aware of how much you could be responsible for should the building suffer a loss. Of course, you’ll be sharing the expense with the other owners, but for your own financial well-being, it’s good to be prepared for any of life’s setbacks.

How much coverage do you need?

Your personal condo policy should include enough coverage to replace your personal belongings and other interior property and fixtures, such as cabinetry, flooring, or kitchen appliances. Again, check your association’s appropriate documentation to see the exact coverages that your master policy includes.

Typical Types of Coverages
  • Furniture
  • Clothes
  • Area Rugs
  • Kitchen countertop appliances
  • Bicycles


  • Jewelery
  • Furs
  • Artwork
  • Music Instruments/Equipment
  • Stamp, comics or baseball card collections
  • Anything where there may be a gap in coverage
  • Cabinetry
  • Countertops
  • Flooring
  • Carpet
  • Lighting
  • Flood
  • Wind


Replacement Cost verses Cash Value Coverage

You’ll also want to consider which type of personal coverage to include in your policy. For example, In the case of needing to replace your TV that you’ve owned for three years, a cash policy would pay the value of your TV, less the depreciation amount of three years, whereas a replacement cost policy would reimburse the cost to replace your TV with a new model.

A cash value policy may be less expensive in monthly premium, but if there were an unfortunate event where you need to replace everything, most people agree that it’s worth spending a little extra every month on a replacement cost policy. The monthly premium difference may only be a few dollars spent, but in the actual event of needing to replace your belongings, the difference could mean thousands saved.

Get a Free Condo Insurance Quote

If you live in one of the great states of California, Oregon, or Washington, we’re happy to answer questions you may have about your condo insurance needs. We’re appointed with top insurance carriers, which means that we give you options in terms of tailored covereages and price. To get started on a quote for your condo, give us a call (888) 310-1027 or fill out the form below.

Contact Salmon Bay Insurance

We welcome your questions, inquiries, and business. Please send us a note.

Please send us a note:


Salmon Bay Insurance Agency, Inc. is an independent insurance agency headquartered in Seattle that provides personal and business insurance services to those residing in California, Oregon, and Washington state.


2442 NW Market Street
# 201
Seattle, WA 98107

Monday – Friday
9 AM – 5 PM PST

(206) 707-9200

(888) 310-1027

(206) 230-7799